West Texas is the Heart of the Lone Star Wine Grape Industry
Perhaps most don’t think of Lubbock and the surrounding area as the Napa Valley of Texas, but maybe it’s time they should. While agriculture has long been part of our region’s identity and economic lifeblood, only recently has the wine grape industry really taken off. Just like with corn, cotton, peanuts, sorghum, and more, the Texas High Plains is proving to be a producer of wine grapes too.
Just recently, Texas surpassed New York as the state with the fourth-most wineries in the country with 470. This is more than a five-fold increase from 2009 when there were just 93 wineries in Texas. This industry growth has led to the wine industry amassing a $20 billion annual economic impact across the state.
Much of the industry’s growth can be traced back to West Texas. The High Plains region produces 80% of the state’s total wine grapes. The warm, dry weather is an advantage for growers, and even the wind is an asset as it keeps pests away and allows for a more organic crop to flourish rather than over reliance on pesticides.
Despite the booming growth of the wine industry, we have even more room to grow locally. More than 90% of the wine that Texans drink on annual basis is grown in California!
There’s a real opportunity for Lubbock and the surrounding area to transform into a hub of grape growing and wine production in the state of Texas. It’s this opportunity, and the economic and cultural benefits that accompany the wine industry, that inspired the Lubbock Chamber of Commerce to create Lubbock Uncorked: a celebration of Texas wine.
This year’s Uncorked festival is Saturday, November 6 from 1 – 7 p.m. at the American Windmill Museum in Lubbock. It features live music, food trucks, a beer garden, classes for beginners and connoisseurs alike, and of course a variety of fantastic wines to try.
The following Texas wineries will be in attendance with product to serve to attendees:
- Adelphos Cellars – Lorenzo, TX
- Antima Cellars LLC/Narra Vineyards – Brownfield, TX
- Becker Vineyards – Frederickburg, TX
- Bingham Family Vineyards – Meadow, TX
- Blue Ostrich Winery & Vineyard – Saint Jo, TX
- Bolen Vineyards Winery – Smyer, TX
- Burklee Hill Vineyards – Lubbock, TX
- English Newsom Cellars – Lubbock, TX
- Esperanza Winery LLC – Spring Branch, TX
- Farmhouse Vineyard – Shallowater, TX
- Happy Bear Meadery – Wilson, TX
- Landon Winery – Wylie, TX
- LLano Estacado Winery – Lubbock, TX
- McPherson Cellars Winery – Lubbock, TX
- Messina Hof Winery – College Station, TX
- Prairie Chick Winery, LLC – Levelland, TX
- Rancho Loma Vineyards – Coleman, TX
- Reddy Vineyards – Brownfield, TX
- Sandfighter Wines and Cellars – Lubbock, TX
- Texas Sun Winery – Midland, TX
- The Triple D Winery Brownfield, TX
- Yellow House Cellars – Tahoka, TX